Thursday 6 February 2014

Zooper - Part 1

Zooper Widget. Where should I begin?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you know how to add widgets and all that nonsense. Heck, I could even assume you've created a few widgets of your own. However, for argument's sake, let's just say you haven't.

We'll start with the basics.

So you add the widget to your home screen, tap, and up pops the interface. Here you're greeted with options abound (including a link to rate the app *cough* 5 stars *cough*). Take the time to poke around and get acquainted with it. The are many options to suit your needs. Personally, I set my Widget Background to #00000000 almost every time, but that's just me. Make yourself comfortable, I'll meet you in Layout.


Layout, logically, brings you to a screen where you can begin creating your widget layout. By tapping the plus symbol you can add modules to create the custom look you're going for.

Here's quick rundown:

Text: simple text with no frills. I rarely use it myself, but it does come in handy when you want to create static text like the numbers around an an along clock.

Rich Text: essentially the same as Text but it allows you to adjust font sizes, bold or italicize words, and other cool options. I use this one a lot.

Rectangle: obviously used to make rectangles, but squares are possible too. Who knew? Also, if you turn the Corners value to at least half the height or width of your shape you can make circles.

Series: this is a nifty little module that displays a series of numbers like days, battery level, etc. with the current value highlighted.

Scalable/Bitmap Icon Set: these two modules function the same way. One uses vector images of battery or weather icons and the other uses a bitmap image. These will of course change depending on your current weather conditions or battery level. You probably figured that out already.

Progress Bar: handy for when you want to show the progression of something like battery level, time left in the day, or custom variables.

Bitmap: adds an image. This is useful if you want to include a picture from your gallery or icons you've collected in your widget too.


This is what you're working with. Doesn't seem like much, right? WRONG! There's more as you dig deeper. Trust me. A LOT more. I'll leave you now to poke around and experiment with this newfound knowledge.  I'll see you next time for Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment